Discovering the Monotony of Life

        It was March of 2020, the fourth periodical tests are coming, and we are preparing for the conclusion of our seventh-grade days, when it was announced that classes will be suspended because of COVID. 🦠 I was in total shock. I couldn’t believe it to the point that I had to force myself to go to school only to find a silent scenery, all rooms were closed and only security guards were present. 

        As weeks passed, the COVID situation only worsened, and class suspensions were getting longer and longer. Then, it was announced that the next school year will start on 5th of October; we have left our seventh-grade days without having the chance to utter a proper goodbye. And yet, life continues…

        Come 5th of October, our new teachers have sent us our modules. In case you don’t know yet, modules are these pieces of stapled paper containing our lessons, they are the antagonists of this story, lmao. Our first week seemed to be going fine, every single day that passed was fine, but then deep in my heart, I started to long for a day that was different from fine. Doing modules started to seep in through the cracks of my brain, I started to feel like a mindless module-doing robot and the days started to feel monotone. Then, I found my own way to escape, my own “momentary flicker of light in the vast darkness of existence.” 

        I started to neglect my modules and instead, I watched J-dramas, listened to J-pop, played Minecraft, and had calls with friends; the night became my day, and the day became my night. Modules was still part of my life, of course, I still had to do it in a day or two after days of neglect and temporary abandonment, lmao. Every single second that passed, I longed for the cliff that marks the end of my journey in the distance learning modality, but the plain of distance learning modality seemed to stretch beyond the horizon without a single cliff to be found.

        Without J-dramas, J-pop, Minecraft, and of course my friends, I wouldn’t have coped up with the dread of distance learning modality for they made my days different which I longed for; even if every day seemed to be the same, even if every day seemed to destroy my high school life, even if every day seemed to be monotone.

        I’m glad distance learning is over after that two-year distance learning. Now that I’m in tenth grade, every single tick that the clock made during those two years became a reminder that two years of my high school life has gone to waste, never to be redone again. If it occurs that time travel is possible, I will go through great extents to rewind the cassette tape of time to our seventh-grade days, hoping COVID wouldn’t exist in that timeline.

        Those two years of my life seemed to have become only a monochrome photograph inside my mind. It had opened my eyes to the degree of monotony our life can become. Through those experiences of hopelessness, I guess I can say that I have discovered the monotony in life. 

        Let’s all work hard for our academic performance! 🦖

        Thank you for stretching your attention span long enough to read until the very end! 🧡


REFERENCE/S:         Nakazawa, A. (2019). my head spins [Photograph]. Aki Nakazawa. https://akinakazawa.wordpress.com/2019/01/29/my-head-spins/

Comments

  1. The pandemic was surely a monotony in our life -- it was yesterday's distant memory that had us in a chokehold. Two years of hurdles, and yet, you still made it through, which makes me very proud of you. One of my favorite blogs so far; perhaps the blog conveys the unspoken sentiments I felt when participating in pandemic learning. Well done, Ricu! It was worth my time reading your blog : D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment